Looking for a way to transform your lifestyle into a healthier one? We have some quick ways to get started as well as tips on implementing more difficult yet more rewarding health transitions into your life.
15 Health Hacks that Take 15 Seconds or Less
You’ve heard the saying that it takes 21 days to develop a healthy habit, but this length of time can seem daunting when you’re committing to cooking from scratch or going on a daily run. Even the most time-crunched can get one small step closer to being healthier though – try these 15 health hacks that take only 15 seconds to implement in your daily routine.
1. Set an alarm: use your phone to set a reminder to get up, walk, stretch or grab a glass of water at work.
2. Take a multivitamin: it only takes a moment but it can provide the vitamins and minerals you may need to support your goal of overall good health.
3. Get your heart pumping: take a 15-second break every day to see how many jumping jacks or squats you can do.
4. Hydrate: water plays a huge role in flushing out toxins your body gathers throughout the day.
5. Seek inspiration: turn to your favourite inspirational quotes for a daily dose of motivation.
6. Track your food: take a few seconds after every meal to jot down what you ate — you may see patterns that can help you make more thoughtful dietary choices.
7. Close your eyes: eyestrain is more common than you think. Take a moment to close your eyes and take a break from your computer.
8. Build your strength: planking or doing sit-ups for just 15 seconds a day can help strengthen your core.
9. Consider your posture: every time an email comes into your inbox, sit back and adjust your posture.
10. Take a stand in meetings: more casual discussions can be done over a walk or standing at a tall table.
11. Step up: take the stairs rather than the escalator or elevator.
12. Breathe deeply: pause, breathe deeply and open windows for fresh air.
13. Snack wisely: don’t open a package — wash a fruit.
14. Add intensity: add a 15-second burst of activity, like a sprint or power squats to your usual workout routine.
15. There’s an app for that: downloading a step-tracking app takes just a moment and will get you moving more often.
Print these tips or keep them handy on your smart phone as a reminder to make healthier choices throughout your day.
5 Tips For Healthy Living
Feel like you don’t have as much energy as you used to? Stressed out about things that happen both at work and in your personal life? Want to lose the five extra pounds that have taken up residence on your hips? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may need a lesson in healthy living.
The average person spends two thirds of their life either at work, working at home or thinking about work. The majority of the remaining time is spent sleeping. So what can you do in your waking hours to make sure you’re living the healthiest lifestyle possible? We have the answers:
1. Eliminate Stress. Eliminating undue stress can be one of the hardest things to accomplish in your daily routine. On the other hand, it also has the biggest impact on your life. Ever heard the saying ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’? It’s time to put those words into action. And if you still can’t beat the blues, try lighting some candles and taking a bath, planning a day at the health spa, working out or reading a book. These are all known to be effective measures in relieving stress.
2. Quit Smoking. If you’ve taken up the not-so-flattering (not to mention, unhealthy) habit of smoking, we strongly urge you to try quitting. And while we realize that doing so may up your stress levels for a short period of time, the long term effects on your health will be worth it in the end.
3. Eat Healthy. Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet will work wonders for your health and will improve your overall energy. Eating green vegetables, fruit and the appropriate portions of meat and dairy combined with drinking lots of water and milk (to strengthen bones) will not only help you lose those extra pounds but will make you feel like a million bucks as well.
4. Exercise. Working out on a consistent basis will also make you look and feel better. Exercising (whether it’s at a gym or in your home) will increase energy, relieve stress and leave you looking damn good. Who’s going to say no to that?
5. Stay Informed. Health education is a great way to learn about new ways to stay healthy. Watching health channels on television (preferably while running on a treadmill) or reading a health magazine (you know, to relieve some stress) will help make sure you know what’s going on in the industry.
Now that you know the plan, it’s time to put it in action. Good luck – and stay healthy!
5 Signs You’re Leading an Unhealthy Lifestyle
Leading a healthy lifestyle is something that many people strive for.
Countless hours in the gym and an unsatisfyingly healthy diet are two great ways to achieve the type of lifestyle that will earn you praise from your doctor. But if being healthy is that easy, why are so many North Americans unhealthy?
The answer to that question is this: It’s easy to know what it takes to lead a healthy life, the difficult part is following through on exactly what it is you need to do to get there.
If you’re not sure whether you’re maintaining a healthy lifestyle, we suggest finding out if any of the following statements apply to you:
1. Your cigarette intake outweighs your vitamin intake.
2. You’re more likely to chug a beer than a glass of water.
3. You’d prefer watching a 6-hour marathon of Desperate Housewives to a half-hour workout at the gym.
4. When asked which you prefer more, a home-cooked meal or a McDonald’s Big Mac, you respond with “the Big Mac, of course – with supersized fries.”
5. You’d rather stay up until 4 o’clock in the morning (on a work night) playing Halo 3 than getting some well-needed rest for the next day.
If any (or all) of these statements apply to you, chances are you’re leading an unhealthy lifestyle. Here are a few small changes you can make in your daily life to improve your health:
1. Quit Smoking.
2. Drink lots of water.
4. Eat Healthy.
5. Get lots of rest.
You don’t have to change your whole world to accommodate your healthy lifestyle. A few small changes can make a huge difference. How about having one glass of wine a night instead of three? How about walking to the store to get some milk instead of always driving? These are small adjustments that will have a huge, long-term impact on your well-being.
So go on, indulge in that Big Mac meal with super-sized fries every now again – just plan to spend the rest of the week working it off!
5 Steps to Building a Happy (And Healthy) Family
Once you’ve decided have children, being a good parent becomes the single most important part of your life. As a parent, you’re shaping a human being and everything you do will now have a direct impact on your children.
Fostering a healthy living environment is the best way to ensure your family remains happy and healthy for years to come.
Follow these five easy steps to family success:
1. Plan Family Activities. A family that plays together, stays together. Okay, that may sound a little cliché, but it’s true. Whether they’re babies, toddlers or teenagers, kids love getting out of the house and doing something fun. Planning annual vacations, playing sports together (mini golfing, bowling etc.) and having weekly movie nights are all great ways to make the most of the time your family spends together.
2. Be a Parent and a Friend. When it comes to your children, you’ll need to find a balance between being their enforcer and their friend. While it’s your job to make certain rules, it’s also your job to instill a trusting relationship with your children (especially when they hit their teenage years) so they feel comfortable coming to you when they need help. If your children are being honest with you (even if you don’t like what they’re telling you), make sure you tell them how much you appreciate their openness.
3. Teach Your Children about Sex Education. Sexual education can be an awkward topic between parents and children. And, while schools are doing a great job of teaching children about sexual health, it’s still your job as a parent to discuss these issues with your kids. When the time is right, talking to your children about condoms and birth control and teaching them about the importance of safe sex will help to eliminate some of their concerns and may prevent unwanted situations from arising in the future.
4. Present a United Front. If you and your husband/wife are still together, it’s important to present a united front to your children. This means keeping your personal conflicts away from your children and agreeing on decisions that are made. If you argue in front of your children, they know they can play the two of you against each other. This will cause even more conflict and will result in a dysfunctional family environment.
5. Reward Good Behavior. When your children do something good (regardless of their age), it’s important to reward their behavior and acknowledge that you’ve noticed their actions. Sometimes it’s so easy to focus on the bad behavior and the punishment that we forget to reward the good stuff. Positive reinforcement is always a great parenting technique and will help your children grow up to be the nurturing, respectful adults every parent hopes for.
Article Source: EzineArticles.com